Pressure washers can be incredibly satisfying to use and watch. There are entire subreddits dedicated to watching people pressure wash badly stained sidewalks, patios and houses. But they also have downsides.
First, they can be downright dangerous in inattentive hands: the force needed to blast embedded dirt out of concrete can do serious damage to the human body, so you’ll need to be absolutely sure to mind your toes.
Second, they’re a bit fiddly: they often have all kinds adapters and a cable which you need to keep track of. And finally, and perhaps most importantly, jet washers can be expensive. If you run some sort of commercial business where you need one it’s a perfectly good investment. But how much does the average homeowner really need to use a pressure washer anyway?
Lucky for you, we’ve got some tips and tricks on how you can clean your patio without making a costly investment in a pressure washer.
How To Clean Your Patio: Remove Dirt, Mould & Algae
A 5-liter container of Pro-Kleen Green Mould & Algae Remover for patios, fencing, and decking is the simple way to spray away unsightly discolouration from your patio and surrounding areas for far less than the cost of a pressure washer.
It’s a concentrated formula, which means you need to dilute it with water before applying. At a 4:1 water to concentrate ratio, this 5-liter bottle packs enough punch to create 25 litres of cleaning solution at full strength, which can clean up to 200 square metres. We recommend it for fences, decking and block paving too.
It’s long-lasting, too: once applied, Pro-Kleen Green Mould & Algae Remover protects against re-growth for up to six months, meaning you can spend more time enjoying your patio and less time cleaning it. And, because it doesn’t expire, you can feel good about making an investment in a product even if you’ll have to apply it less frequently than competing brands.
So how does it work? It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4!
How To Clean A Patio: Step By Step
- Dilute Pro-Kleen Green Mould & Algae Remover into a pump sprayer or watering can at a ratio of 4 parts water to 1 part solution.
- Apply diluted solution to any hard outdoor surfaces with visible mould or algae growth in the late evening in order to allow the solution to cure overnight. Make sure to apply it when the weather is forecasted to be clear, as rain can reduce the performance of the product.
- Within 2-3 days, results should be visible! When the mould and algae begins to turn orange or brown, you’ll know the formula is working. If some areas have particularly heavy growth or stubborn stains, go ahead and treat it again: in extreme cases, you may use it undiluted.
- Once the treatment has dried and the algae and moss has changed colour, simply brush or sweep the remaining detritus away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still unsure if Pro-Kleen Green Mould & Algae Remover is the right product for you? We’ve answered some of the most commonly asked questions to help shed some light on the situation.
- Is this patio cleaner safe for use around pets and children? Yes it is! Because it’s non-acidic, biodegradable, pH neutral and contains no bleach, any treated areas are perfectly safe for children and pets to play on as soon as the solution has dried.
- What surfaces can this product be used on? Not only is Pro-Kleen Green Mould & Algae Remover one of the most effective green mould and algae removers on the market, it’s also incredibly diverse. It can be used on objects like decking, greenhouses, sheds, garages, pathways, driveways, garden statues, roofs, patios, outdoor furniture, boats, motor homes, caravans, and even UPVC windows. It’s appropriate for use on materials like brick, stone, wood, terracotta: essentially any hard surface with green mould and algae is fair game. If you have any doubt about using it on a particular surface, or if you’re concerned about colour-fastness, simply test it on a small, inconspicuous area.
- When can you use it? What time of year? A better question would be when can’t you use Pro-Kleen Green patio cleaner! It’s appropriate to use it year-round – winter, spring, summer, and fall alike.
- Will the Pro-Kleen cleaner kill weeds? Unfortunately, no: while Pro-Kleen Green Mould & Algae Remover is great for eradicating algae, moss, and green mould, you’ll need a separate specialized weed killer for weeds and other garden detritus.
- If I treat wood how long should I wait to paint? It is recommended that you wait two weeks to paint wooden surfaces after treating it for algae, moss, or mould.
- Can I spray the cleaner on wet surfaces? No, it is recommended that you spray the diluted solution on dry surfaces, and that you plan to apply it when there is no rain forecast.
Should You Really Buy A Pressure Washer?
So why buy Pro-Kleen Patio cleaner over a pressure washer? For one, thing, it’s much less bulky to store a compact 5 litre bottle versus a large machine with several parts. Second, it’s easier to use: someone who doesn’t have the strength to move around a pressure washer can easily carry around a lightweight sprayer filled with the diluted concentrate.
Finally, it’s competitive: sure, pressure washers can cover large areas, but the Pro-Kleen solution is so concentrated that it has enough cleaning power for 200 square feet. And at a fraction of the price of a pressure washer, Pro-Kleen gives you a lot more bang for your buck.
What’s The Best Pressure Washer?
Still have your heart set on a pressure washer? In that case, we do have a recommendation: the Karcher K2 Compact Pressure Washer.
It neatly answers a lot of our concerns about pressure washers. It’s a fantastic value compared to other pressure washers on the market, and comes equipped with a two-year warranty. Its compact size allows for easy storage, and also makes it easier for non-professionals to carry around.
It’s lightweight, and has an ergonomic carrying handle which adds to its convenience factor, but don’t be fooled by its small size: it still packs a lot of cleaning powder. It can be ordered with several add-ons including a brush (stationary or rotating), a suction tube for the application of detergents, a hose connection set, and a cleaning kit for bikes and cars, many of which can be easily stored with the pressure washing unit thanks to on-board storage options.
The Karcher K2 Compact Pressure Washer comes with several features and benefits. All units designed by Karcher are equipped with an automatic 1400 watt stop/start motor. This makes it so the unit isn’t continuously flowing during cleaning which helps conserve energy. The aforementioned add-ons include the following:
- High Pressure Hose: a 4m high-pressure hose which easily connects to a trigger gun and can be screwed securely to the pressure washer
- One Way Lance: a constant high-pressure jet suitable for cleaning patios, decks, cars, and a plethora of other surfaces
- Dirtblaster: a powerful rotary nozzle equipped with a rotating pencil jet: this provide as much as 50% more cleaning power than the typical high-pressure lance, and is appropriate for removing especially tenacious stains and grime
- Detergent Suction Tube: not all Karchers come equipped with this special feature, which allows you to pull detergent from a container through the unit for disbursement: you can, however, find it in the Karcher K2 Compact Pressure Washer
If you have a patio, decking, fence, block paving, siding, or any other number of hard outdoor surfaces that are stained with green algae, moss, or mould, for our money, the best solution is well, an actual solution.
Pro-Kleen Green Mould & Algae Remover & Cleaner is inexpensive, easy to store, has an indefinite shelf life, and will overall give you the best cleaning power for your money. We’d recommend going for that option first.
However, if you find you have particularly stubborn grime (or are just a sucker for the satisfaction of a power-washed surface), the Karcher K2 Compact Pressure Washer has a lot going for it.
It’s incredibly affordable as far as pressure washers go, and can be used to augment and amplify the benefits of the Pro-Kleen Green Mould & Algae Remover. If you can only pick one, we’d go with the Pro-Kleen, but if you can afford both, the Karcher is a neat little investment, too.